Monday, December 26, 2016

Run them jewels (again).


Something amazing seems to happen when you combine Jaime Meline and Michael Render. Southern swag and Northern grit come together in the most magical way. What results is a rap duo the likes of which I haven't seen since Blackstar. The easy why that they feed each other as they walk all up and down the sick beats El-P creates for them is hard to hate. Even the people that aren't Hip Hop fans that I let (make) listen to them come away in a daze. It's not something you can argue with.

Run The Jewels 3 continues their trend of self improvement. 

Every record, indeed every song, is better than the last. A graph of their improvement would read like a stairway to heaven - Ever upward. 

The album pulls no punches, as is their custom, and hits you heavily about your ears like a three piece combo - Beat *Wop*, Mike *Wop*, El *Wop*. Free of charge, too. 

Don't forget to say thank you.

A Christmas fucking miracle.

Talk To Me is epic. "Militant Michael" clearly states his position firmly on the side of the cause of black equality, not that there was any doubt, with the line "My job is to fight for survival in spite of these "All Lives Matter" ass white folk.". He told y'all suckers.

Hey Kids (feat. Danny Brown) is just savage as fuck. Mike kills it right from the beginning and El proves, as usual, that he isn't playin' catch up with the skills. I'm not always a fan of Danny Brown but he for real kills it, too. Stepping it up to their level perhaps? Either way, the song is dope.

On Stay Gold El hits me with one of my favorite rhymes on the whole album, "All you fucking frauds can keep juggling lava rocks, I'm non-compliant/I'll define it, nothing servile, all defiance.". That shit is how I feel all day long.

Everybody Stay Calm seems like a contradiction as the beat forces you to bounce. With Killer Mike dropping lines like "Hey El, the AR’s an option for any asshole wanna talk and pop shit / Quit playing pussy or the pistol will pop off And get your whole face pushed back or knocked off.", and El P answering "They fucked up and paid us, made us dangerous / Too old to change, I’ma stay with paper / Poor folk love us the rich hate our faces / We talk too loud, won’t remain in our places.", I sit here sipping thinking "If y'all want me to stay calm you better quit hyping me up.".

I could sit here and talk about every song on the album but you should probably just listen to the shit.


Here's Hey Kids to get you started.




Find the rest at RunTheJewels.com




No comments:

Post a Comment